Extra Food and Nutrition Services (FNS) Benefits for COVID-19 to end in March 2023
Families enrolled in Food and Nutrition Services (FNS) have gotten extra benefits each month since March 2020 or after due to the COVID-19 public health emergency. February 2023 is the last month you will get these extra benefits, called “emergency allotments” or “maximum supplements.” This is due to a federal change that will end emergency allotments for all states as of March 2023.
FNS households have gotten at least $95 extra per month through emergency allotments. February 2023 will be the last month you get the emergency allotments.
If you’re enrolled in FNS, you will still get your regular monthly benefit in March 2023. Here’s how to check your regular monthly benefit amount.
If you're enrolled in FNS, you will still get your regular monthly benefit amounts in March 2023.
Your regular monthly benefit amount depends on:
- Your current eligibility
- Household size
- Other federal eligibility requirements
You can view your regular monthly benefit amount online at www.ebtedge.com or through the EBT Edge mobile app. You can also view your current emergency allotment amount there.
Regular monthly FNS benefits are issued between the 3rd and 21st of every month. Emergency allotments are issued on or after the 22nd of the month.
To get the most benefits you're eligible for, be sure to keep your FNS information up to date.
Food security for all North Carolinians remains a priority for NCDHHS.
Check with these resources to see if they can help:
- WIC: If you have a child under 5 and/or you are pregnant or breastfeeding, you may be eligible for WIC. Learn more about WIC and complete a WIC referral online.
- 211: Visit www.nc211.org or dial 211 to be connected to community food resources.
Work Requirements for Able-Bodied Adults Without Dependents
Work requirements for able-bodied adults without dependents (ABAWD) are being temporarily and partially suspended beginning April 1, 2020, until the public health emergency declaration is lifted. The public health emergency is still in effect through April 11, 2023.
- Visit www.ebtedge.com and click on More Information under EBT Cardholders.
- Download the ebtEDGE mobile app. The app is available as a free download on the Apple Store and Google Play.
- Call the EBT Call Center at 1-888-622-7328.
Families and individuals who do not currently receive benefits can apply online with ePass.